FAQ Maus School

FAQs: Visas to Study in Spain

Do I need a visa to come to Spain?

NO: If you're a citizen of the EU or Schengen Area, you don't need a visa. You can enter and leave Spain whenever you want.

NO: Spain allows citizens from some non-EU countries (including the United States, Brazil, Japan, South Korea, Australia and Canada) to stay in Spain for a maximum of 3 months (as a tourist) without a visa.

YES: If you’re a non-EU citizen and want to stay for more than 3 months, you need a student visa (Type D).

You should consult the Spanish Embassy or Consulate in your country regarding the conditions and requirements.

When do I need to apply for my visa?

Important: You should obtain a student visa BEFORE travelling to Spain.

Trying to get a student visa during your 3 months as a ‘tourist’ in Spain is very complicated and expensive because the authorities ask you to return to your country during this process.

We recommend that you start the process as soon as possible (2 to 3 months before coming to Spain).

The process is slow, and you’ll need to book appointments, provide various documentation, organise your flight, get health insurance, etc.

What are the requirements for a student visa?

The requirements for getting a student visa for Spain depend on the agreement your country has with Spain.

Therefore, the first and most important step is to contact the Spanish Embassy or nearest Spanish Consulate in your country and ask about the specific requirements you must meet.

There are several personal requirements that, depending on your country, you will or will not have to meet.

These include getting private health insurance and providing a criminal record certificate.

You can find more information in our blog post How to Get a Student Visa for Spain.

What type of course do I need to enrol in to get a student visa?

The type of Spanish course you need to take to get a student visa varies between countries.

You should consult the Spanish Embassy in your country or the nearest Spanish Consulate.

The typical requirement is a full-time course of 20 hours a week (our Intensive Course).

You can find more information in our blog post How to Get a Student Visa for Spain.

Do I have to pay for my Spanish course in full to get my visa?

You will most likely have to provide proof of payment for your course when you apply for your visa.

If you want a visa for 10 months, you may need to prove that you’ve paid for a 10-month course.

You should ask the Embassy or Consulate if proof of part of the payment is sufficient.

At Maus School, we want things to be as easy as possible for you.

Therefore, you only need to pay for your course in full if it’s a visa requirement.

How do I get a student visa by enrolling at Maus School?

First, you should contact the Spanish Embassy or Consulate in your home country to find out the exact visa requirements.

Next, you should contact us. We'll offer you the course best suited to your visa requirements and personal goals. We'll also calculate the price for you and apply available discounts.

After you take a placement test and we confirm that there’s a place for you on a suitable course, all you need to do is pay (either in full or in part, depending on your visa requirements).

That same day, you’ll receive a payment certificate/ enrollment letter, which is the document you need to provide for your student visa application.

You can find more information in our blog post How to Get a Student Visa for Spain.

What happens if, after paying in part for my course and getting my visa, I come to Spain and don’t pay for or continue with my course?

You may hear that this is an option, but don’t be fooled!

If you don’t fulfil your visa requirements, you’ll break EU law and will be faced with various legal and economic repercussions.

Violating Spanish law has consequences, such as a fine of up to 10,000 euros and immediate expulsion from the EU (you can also be banned from re-entering for 2 years).

You may be questioned at any time by immigration officials or the police, as well as at the airport when you travel or return to your home country.

We recommend that you make sure your stay in Spain is legal.

Can I get a student visa if I enrol in an online course?

No. The Spanish Embassy in your country or nearest Spanish Consulate will tell you how to get a student visa.

What happens if I pay for my course at Maus School but don’t obtain a student visa?

If your visa is denied because of a reason attributable to Maus School, you can request a 100% refund of your payment.! A visa to study at Maus School has never before been refused by the authorities. Your student visa application to study at Maus School will not be rejected if you follow all the instructions of the Embassy or Consulate, meet all the personal requirements, and enrol in a course that meets the student visa requirements. To prove that your visa has been denied because of reasons attributable to Maus School, you should send us the official document from the Spanish administrative authorities which clearly states why your application has been denied. Maus School will look at this document and contact the Embassy, Consulate or corresponding institution. If your visa has been denied due to a fault of Maus School, you’ll receive a full refund on your course fee. A refund will not be possible if your visa has been denied because you haven’t met the personal requirements, have failed to meet the application deadlines, or for any other reason unrelated to Maus School.

Abrir chat
💬 ¿Alguna pregunta?
Hola 👋
¿qué quieres saber?